The 2008 holiday season has come and gone. After Christmas sales were aggressive and by all appearances consumers racked up on merchandise discounted almost immediately to 75 – 90%. I’m guessing more than ever that Christmas 2009 will be celebrated with merchandise purchased after the 2008 holiday season with some well thought out additions. Smart shopping is always in season and my fellow bargain hunters were out in abundance snapping up great buys for the upcoming year.
Here are some of the items I picked up at discounts of 70% – 90% to be used now, in goody bags, as stocking stuffers and to give as gifts for Christmas 2009:
1. Christmas themed kitchen towels, table linens and a super cute cut out tree from Crate and Barrel.
2. Ornaments, tea, hot chocolate and sugar cookie mix good until 2010 at Cost Plus World Market.
3. Ralph Lauren cashmere sweaters, boxed cards for $1.99, ornaments and Godiva chocolate toffee popcorn at Macys.
4. Fair Winds Trading barkcloth drum ornaments, gold Maasai wedding necklace ornaments and red 11 inch long beaded icicle ornaments, all for .99 cents at Macys.com.
5. Annual festive bottle stopper and beaded cover with coordinating coasters at Pier 1. Great for festive events year round.
6. Popular Christmas music CDs for .69 cents each at Target.
A set of hobnail red mercury glass votives that shine brilliantly when illuminated are two favorites purchased locally and will be used on Valentine’s Day and throughout the year. They’ll be great for small floral arrangements.
Great bargains don’t end when the after Christmas sales are over. Opportunities for similar discounts come around at the end of every major holiday. The same is true for end of season sales and merchandise. Now is a great time to buy cozy and stylish sweaters and pajamas at deep discounts for the 2009 winter/holiday season.
Here’s to fabulously wise shopping in 2009!